Click me

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Μια δύσκολη μέρα για τον Dvorak

It was a somber day for the Dvorak family recently when my son switched to the Mac, likely never to return to the PC. I saw this coming. The family flag is flying at half mast.

"He didn't want to tell you because he was afraid you'd get mad and talk him out of it," said my wife on a dreary Washington state morning. "What? I wouldn't talk him out of it!" I retorted as I gritted my teeth.
I was lying—I probably would have tried. That said, his was a smart move, since he was following the advice of pundits, technology writers, and everyone who ever gave advice about what to buy and why: "Buy solutions, not hardware." In his case, the solution was a stunning piece of software called DEVONthink, which he needs for a book he's writing.

This thing sucks up PDF files like crazy, first organizing and then sorting them into manageable database blocks. I'll leave it to reviewers to fully explain its features, but let me just say that it's about as close to a killer Apple app as anything I've seen since VisiCalc in the late '70s.

You'd think there would be a PC version, but no.

Anyway, he ended up with a new MacBook Pro, one of the few laptops being sold that actually impresses me. It's got that hard aluminum unibody that makes the thing feel like a rock. There is none of the flexing and bending of a typical laptop.

Apple had added multi-touch, developed for the iPhone, to the track pad. Two fingers on the pad and you can do all sorts of fancy moves that are slick and interesting. The display is gorgeous and crisp.


Διαβάστε τη συνέχεια εδώ.

Δεν σε χάλασε Dvorak που ο γιος σου αγόρασε MacBook Pro. Να που τελικά το μήλο δεν πέφτει κάτω από τη μηλιά ;)

Σε μερικά χρονάκια το ίδιο θα πάθει ο Steve Ballmer και ο Bill Gates. Ούτε και αυτούς θα τους χαλάσει :)

No comments: